Friday, November 03, 2006

Everything's All Locked Up Now, Thanks

Since her car was in the shop, Johanna took Tory to preschool via city bus. Now, as it happens, there is a bus that is nearly perfect for the trip, stopping both near our house and right next to the school. The trip out was fairly uneventful, and the trip back even less remarkable. That is, until Joh and Stuart got to the house. At which point she realized that she did not have her keys.

No, we haven't gotten around to exchanging keys with the neighbors.

"Hmm. So much for getting Thane off to work at a reasonable hour; he's barely there, and I have to call him to come home and let us in."

But the cell phone is dead. Now what?

"Aha! I never locked that window I opened to clear the smoke.* But I can't put Stuart through the window like I did with Tory."

"I could climb up on a chair ... and then fall and break my neck. Yeah, riiight. Wait: the shed! I didn't lock it last night, so I can get the ladder."

So Johanna set Stuart down on a cushy surface, got the ladder, climbed through the window, unlocked the door, and got Stuart. Problem solved.

Then she sent me this message:

"It wasn't currently raining, and it's actually pretty warm, and he was doing fine with a toy. Otherwise I would have hunted someone down to hold him in a warm place, but then one of our neighbors would know my shame. Now, nobody needs to know...except all the internets!"

* The fish sticks tried to fight off Johanna the other night. They lost, but took their toll.

No comments: