Saturday, August 26, 2006

My Name

This is the story of how I got my name. You want the facts, talk to someone else. When I was born, the Nurses and Doctors pleaded with my mother: "You have to give him a name." "We need a name to put on the birth certificate." My Mom: "I am not naming him. You do what you need to, but I am not getting into the middle of this." You see, my Father (Victor Thane Norton Jr.) had talked to my Granddaddy (Victor Thane Norton Sr.) and told him that he needed to visit my great uncle Homer, Granddaddy's brother, who was on his death bed. If Granddaddy went to visit him, the boy would be named Victor Thane Norton III. Otherwise, Homer Scott Norton. One might think that this was an easy choice. Not for Granddaddy. I have heard that he was not on speaking terms with Homer, probably over a card game where Granddaddy was caught cheating. Regardless, Homer was in Chicago, and it was Winter. Whenever Granddaddy went to a city with snow, he got pneumonia. For those who have not had pneumonia, this is a serious concern, but that is a different story. However, Granddaddy wanted to have a III more than he wanted to stay healthy, so he went. He got in and out of that city as fast as he could, but he still got pneumonia. And I got my name.

No comments: