Monday, August 28, 2006

Lullabies by Virg

Another one from aunt Sus

So usually when I put Virginia to bed, I sing her some lullabies to help her get to sleep. Scarborough Fair, Rainbow Connection, Brahms' Lullaby, whatever slow sleepy songs I can think of.

Well, lately, she's taken to "helping" me with the lullabies. Aside from the fact that Virginia brainstorming lyrics is not exactly conducive to sleepiness, it's pretty darned adorable. For instance, Brahms' Lullay is now required to start like this:

Lullaby and goodnight
May your dreams come true...

The rest is up to me, but by God if her dreams don't come true in that song, I'm in hot water.

Last night, however, we had a complete departure from the repertoire. Virginia decided that she needed to make up her own lullabies. And this is what we got:

If you have an egg
I'll give you half a pie
And if you eat it up
I'll give you another pie
And if you do that
I'll
Go
Home.

--And another potential Top 40 Hit:

When you have a rainbow ball
You can give me lots of pens
And when you have a lot
You can give them to your daughter
And when you have a lot
You can give them to your daughter
And when the stars are over
You go to sleep.

So next time you've got a fussy child on your hands, by all means feel free to make use of one of these classics. Just be sure to say "Copyright Virginia Mellinger" at the end.

Sus

No comments: