Wednesday, June 13, 2007

WWDC 2007: Too Much Un

I would like to start off by saying that Apple has accomplished a lot this year. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of wiz-bang. Most of this years wiz-bang was introduced last year, and it being tempered this year with the implementation reality.

To begin with, the Keynote. My first impression is that it was not targeted at developers. Yeah, he talked about a lot of cool stuff. Not one thing was fresh. Nothing that did not have a session last year. Oh wait. Safari for Windows. Not many Mac developers care. None of them liked the none too subtle replacement of Firefox with Safari. If you want to replace something in your overly ambitious slide, replace IE.

They also talked about "writing applications for the iPhone". Ooooohhhhhh. I can use Web 2.0 and AJAX to write "applications" for my iPhone. I was afraid that my iPhone might not be able to surf the web. Oh wait! I know! M$ should stop writing Office for the Mac and just write an Office "application" in Web 2.0 and AJAX. That will be so much better than a native application. Hey Steve! Pull the other one. It has bells on it.

Now, the biggest thing I was looking forward to in Leopard was ZFS. Not many people were jazzed about that, but I was. I am not supposed to talk about what they said, but lets just say that the support is not anywhere near what I had hoped.

I have picked up some new stuff, and I am really looking forward to using Xcode 3.0. Leopard is way cool, and I am planning on upgrading my entire home. But this WWDC is uninspiring and unimpressive.

1 comment:

Tech Worker said...

Stacks was new, too. And Cover Flow in Finder!