Thursday, June 21, 2007

Mixin' It Up At The Pool

Today, Tory and I went to the pool. We hadn't been in a while, and we had a great time, but that is not what I am writing about. At the pool the Street Team from Jammin' 95.5 was spinnin' wax. Now, normally, I am not a big fan of Hip Hop, but DJ Jerm taught me something. Even Hip Hop can be made worse by a DJ who is full of himself and tries too hard. He seemed like he knew the basics of mixing (as there were no train wrecks) but he kept scratching and slamming the fader like he was doing someone a favor. Yee gads and little fishes! Someone stop him before it's too late!

Now, as I was thinking this, I also thought "Maybe I don't get it. Maybe mixing hip-hop is just that much different than mixing house." So I asked a young man who seemed to be enjoying himself and fit the radio stations demographic. "He does too much." I rest my case.

So, the sentence I hand down to DJ Jerm is this: Until such a time as it is proved that you have learned moderation and modesty you shall be forbidden from having slip-mats. Additionally, you shall be banned from any mixing board that does not have at least a 1/2 second delay on the cross fader.

No comments: